Roles and Responsibilities
WWF-India is a leading organization in India engaged in the conservation of terrestrial, freshwater and marine species across vast geographies in the country. WWF’s conservation portfolio is also focused on influencing and creating solutions to address the drivers of biodiversity loss and environmental degradation – through sustainable agriculture and business, climate change adaptation, environmental law and policy and governance. WWF’s Wildlife and Habitat’s division seeks to reverse the decline of populations of several vulnerable species and to build a constituency for conservation though participatory conservation approaches. The species conservation program seeks to consolidate wildlife status within multi-use landscapes, inclusive of agricultural areas and corridors that extend wildlife habitats, by designing and demonstrating solutions to mitigate human wildlife conflict, informing habitats management, strengthening enforcement, and reinforcing participatory models of natural resource management and governance.
WWF India’s conservation initiatives are backed by evidence from field studies, remotely sensed data, and other sources. Due to the complexity of the systems WWF works with, there is a need to bring diverse data and sophisticated analyses to bear on decision making, management and policy at time scales that matter., It is increasingly important that WWF India operationalizes systems for the seamless integration of social, ecological and geospatial data. This includes designing and adopting technology that make data collection more efficient and computational tools to radically transform how data are processed, mined, analyzed, and visualized. More broadly, a person appointed to this role needs to be a thought leader and implementer about how conservation can become more effective through the application of technology and big-data. Innovative approaches and solutions that envision or provide a template for how data can be brought to bear on decision making to inform planning for complex problems such as the loss of life of people and wildlife in human wildlife conflict, land use change and habitat fragmentation that degraded habitats and disentangling complexity to clearly guide action for the recovery of endangered species whose populations are at-risk because of diverse drivers including poaching, unfavorable public attitudes, deficient governance and land use change. In addition to being embedded within a core conservation science team at WWF India, the individual in this role will be engaged with a global pool of data scientists and quantitative ecologists located across WWF’s vast global network, and a diverse pool of collaborators from the conservation and academic sectors.
The position will also provide opportunities for travel to WWF India’s project sites across the length and breadth of India – where technology solutions need to be designed and implemented.
Location: New Delhi / Dehradun
- Design the architecture and lead development and implementation of data management systems and software to archive, manage, query, analyse and visualize conservation data from camera traps and other sources.
- Lead the operationalization of data storage and management systems (both hardware and software) for secure data storage and access.
- Product development: nodal person from WWF India for the development of external computer applications or technology products being developed through contracts with IT specialists or firms or collaborations.
- Implementation: Supervise data management solution management, maintenance and wise use of data management hardware and software.
- Analysis: Perform data analysis for specific projects; applying advanced statistics and spatial analysis and programming as necessary to answer science questions. Works closely with scientists to deliver this.
- Data: Manage, maintain, and curate spatial and non-spatial databases, keep abreast with relevant data sources, and provide data needed for analysis.
- Platforms: Support development of online platforms for data dissemination and processing.
- Point person for the development of innovative conservation technology through partnerships.
- GIS software licensing: Manage GIS software licensing and distributes software licenses to all users in the Network. Coordinate with software vendors to obtain and renew licenses and to handle support requests.
- Lead or contribute to proposal and strategy development with a significant data component.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Experience and competencies required:
- Bachelor, Masters or PhD degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering or other related disciplines.
- Three years (PhD degree), six years (Master degree) or 10 years (Bachelor degree) of progressively responsible experience in design and development of data integration and analysis platforms, data analysis or data visualization, Big Data, AI, social network data, or geospatial data/satellite imagery required;
- Fluency in R, MatLab and python scripting, coding, and web design for data access, analysis and presentation required;
- Familiarity with one or more data science or decision science domains including data mining, machine learning, predictive analysis, event detection, or modeling of complex systems desirable;
- Experience with open source platforms desirable
- Knowledge of cloud-based technologies and machine learning approaches;
- Experience analyzing data from social and ecological monitoring systems, monitoring and evaluation work, or other survey work and writing scientific articles desirable.
- Demonstrated experience presenting work to both technical and non-technical audiences and leading a data science team.
- Teaching and advisory skills building capacity within diverse range of teams;
- Experience working in the fields of global development or conservation sector desirable;
- Professional and intellectual interest in the conservation and sustainability sectors
Please note, that the applications of only the short-listed candidates will be acknowledged.
WWF-India is an equal opportunities employer. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
Remuneration will be competitive with Indian NGO pay scales and will depend upon candidate’s experience levels and the overall WWF-India salary structure. WWF-India does not provide housing, telephone or vehicle facilities.
Please submit an up-to-date CV (mentioning your full name in the resume attachment), giving details regarding compensation received in the present assignment, expected salary, and three references.
In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please mention “Conservation Data Scientist”, in the subject line. The vacancy is open to Indian Nationals only. Applications of only the short listed candidates will be acknowledged.
Salary: Not Disclosed by Recruiter
Functional AreaData Science & Analytics
Role CategoryData Science & Machine Learning
Employment Type:Full Time, Permanent
UG:B.Sc in Maths, Computers, Statistics, Electronics, Environmental Science
PG:MS/M.Sc(Science) in Data Informatics, Maths, Electronics & Embedded Technology, Statistics, Environmental science,M.Tech in Environmental, Computers,PG Diploma in Computers,MBA/PGDM in Information Technology, Systems
World Wide Fund For Nature India