Roles and Responsibilities
About WWF – India: WWF-India is a leading organization in India engaged in the conservation of terrestrial, freshwater and marine species across vast geographies in the country. WWF’s conservation portfolio is also focused on influencing and creating solutions to address the drivers of biodiversity loss and environmental degradation – through sustainable agriculture and business, climate change adaptation, environmental law and policy and governance. WWF’s Wildlife and Habitat’s division seeks to reverse the decline of populations of several vulnerable species and to build a constituency for conservation though participatory conservation approaches. The species conservation program seeks to consolidate wildlife status within multi-use landscapes, inclusive of agricultural areas and corridors that extend wildlife habitats, by designing and demonstrating solutions to mitigate human wildlife conflict, informing habitats management, strengthening enforcement, and reinforcing participatory models of natural resource management and governance.
WWF India’s conservation interventions are backed by evidence from field studies, remotely sensed data, and other sources. As the need to bring complex and diverse data to bear on decision making, management and policy at time scales that matter, it is increasingly important that WWF India operationalizes systems for the seamless integration of social, ecological and geospatial data. This includes designing and adopting technology that make data collection more efficient, computational tools to radically transform how data are processed, mined and analyzed, and visualized. The person appointed to this position will be required to have high competency in Geoinformatics – especially with regard to prospecting, harvesting, processing, curating and analyzing remotely sensed data – and will be the primary person tasked with the maintenance of a geospatial library within WWF India’s diverse data-sets. In addition to maintaining a spatial library, the person in this role will also need to contribute to developing high level GIS analysis including image classification, change detection and web platforms for data visualization and synthesis.
This job will require travel to WWF India’s project sites distributed across 9 large landscapes extending from Ladakh to the Western Ghats.
Location: New Delhi / Dehradun
- Maintains a spatial data library (inclusive of social and environmental data sets) and updates this at regular intervals
- Processes these data and provides relevant data for users in the secretariat or landscapes. Contributes to analyses for publications or other products.
- Works with the Conservation Data Scientist and Programmer to integrate the spatial library within the broader data management architecture
- Leads social mapping projects for the conservation landscapes.
- Undertakes high-level geospatial analyses
- Develops web tools for visualization and analysis of geospatial data
- Liaises with other groups and stays abreast with spatial datasets as they become available
- Trains WWF’s program staff in GIS and remote sensing applications
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Experience and competencies required:
- Masters degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Geoinformatics, Remote Sensing. Statistics, Engineering or other related disciplines.
- Five years (Master degree) of experience in design and development of data integration and analysis platforms, for geospatial data/satellite imagery required;
- Fluency in R, and python scripting, coding, and web design for data access, analysis and presentation required;
- Familiarity with one or more data science or decision science domains including data mining, machine learning desirable;
- Experience with open source platforms; Knowledge of cloud-based technologies and machine learning approaches;
- Professional and intellectual interest in the conservation and sustainability sectors.
Please note, that the applications of only the short-listed candidates will be acknowledged.
WWF-India is an equal opportunities employer. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
Remuneration will be competitive with Indian NGO pay scales and will depend upon candidate’s experience levels and the overall WWF-India salary structure. WWF-India does not provide housing, telephone or vehicle facilities.
Please submit an up-to-date CV (mentioning your full name in the resume attachment), giving details regarding compensation received in the present assignment, expected salary, and three references.
In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please mention “Conservation Geoinformatics Specialist”, in the subject line. The vacancy is open to Indian Nationals only. Applications of only the short listed candidates will be acknowledged.
Role:Data Science & Analytics - Other
Salary: Not Disclosed by Recruiter
Functional AreaData Science & Analytics
Role CategoryData Science & Analytics - Other
Employment Type:Full Time, Permanent
PG:MS/M.Sc(Science) in Food Technology, Data Informatics, Geology, Computers, Statistics,M.Tech in Environmental, Computers,MBA/PGDM in Information Technology, Systems
World Wide Fund For Nature India