Roles and Responsibilities
About WWF – India: WWF-India is a leading organization in India engaged in the conservation of terrestrial, freshwater and marine species across vast geographies in the country. WWF’s conservation portfolio is also focused on influencing and creating solutions to address the drivers of biodiversity loss and environmental degradation – through sustainable agriculture and business, climate change adaptation, environmental law and policy and governance. WWF’s Wildlife and Habitat’s division seeks to reverse the decline of populations of several vulnerable species and to build a constituency for conservation though participatory conservation approaches. The species conservation program seeks to consolidate wildlife status within multi-use landscapes, inclusive of agricultural areas and corridors that extend wildlife habitats, by designing and demonstrating solutions to mitigate human wildlife conflict, informing habitats management, strengthening enforcement, and reinforcing participatory models of natural resource management and governance.
WWF India’s conservation initiatives are backed by evidence from field studies, remotely sensed data, and other sources. As the need to bring complex and diverse data to bear on decision making, management and policy at time scales that matter, it is increasingly important that WWF India operationalizes systems for the seamless integration of social, ecological and geospatial data. This includes designing and adopting technology that make data collection more efficient, computational tools to radically transform how data are processed, mined and analyzed, and visualized. The person appointed to this position will be required to have high competency in computer programming – and will be the primary person tasked with the maintenance of WWF India’s data management systems and developing software tools to support efficient data management.
This job will require travel to WWF India’s project sites distributed across 9 large landscapes extending from Ladakh to the Western Ghats.
Location: New Delhi / Dehradun
- Contributes to programming for developing WWF India’s comprehensive data management system – with a focus on an AI driven camera trap images identification software, including a user interface. Maintains this system
- Contributes to programming for other relevant software, including data scrapers, platforms for mapping connectivity data
- Develops a dashboard for tiger recovery in India’s tiger heartlands – with a suite of indicators
- Maintains NAS drives and servers in the various landscapes and trains the data management nodes in landscapes on data operations
- Liaises with other groups developing camera trap AI software to create solutions that are in synergy with broader developments across the sector
- Develops and manages WWF India’s KoBo datasheets, and ensures that standardized formats are employed by teams where relevant
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Experience and competencies required:
- Bachelor or Masters degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering or other related disciplines.
- Three years (Master degree) or six years (Bachelor degree) of experience in design and development of data integration and analysis platforms, data analysis or data visualization, Big Data, AI, social network data, or geospatial data/satellite imagery required;
- Fluency in R, MatLab, C++, JAVA, and python scripting, coding, and web design for data access, analysis and presentation required;
- Familiarity with one or more data science or decision science domains including data mining, machine learning, predictive analysis, event detection, or modeling of complex systems desirable;
- Experience with open source platforms Experience working in the fields of global development or conservation sector desirable; Knowledge of cloud-based technologies and machine learning approaches;
- Professional and intellectual interest in the conservation and sustainability sectors
Please note, that the applications of only the short-listed candidates will be acknowledged.
WWF-India is an equal opportunities employer. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
Remuneration will be competitive with Indian NGO pay scales and will depend upon candidate’s experience levels and the overall WWF-India salary structure. WWF-India does not provide housing, telephone or vehicle facilities.
Please submit an up-to-date CV (mentioning your full name in the resume attachment), giving details regarding compensation received in the present assignment, expected salary, and three references.
In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please mention “Programmer - Conservation Technology”, in the subject line. The vacancy is open to Indian Nationals only. Applications of only the short listed candidates will be acknowledged.
Role:Data Science & Analytics - Other
Salary: Not Disclosed by Recruiter
Functional AreaData Science & Analytics
Role CategoryData Science & Analytics - Other
Employment Type:Full Time, Permanent
UG:B.Sc in Maths, Computers, Statistics, Environmental Science,B.A in Statistics, Maths
World Wide Fund For Nature India