Roles and Responsibilities
WWF-India, one the largest organizations engaged in wildlife and nature conservation, seeks applications from qualified veterinary professionals.
Awareness on the occurrence and spread of Zoonotic diseases has gone up substantially after the occurrence and spread of COVID-19. In addition to working to enhance understanding and response to Zoonotic Diseases through our One Health initiative, WWF India through its Brahmaputra Landscape works on addressing rhino health and diseases as also using DNA sampling and other techniques to curb rhino poaching.
As a qualified veterinary professional you will take part in the One Health project to address the wildlife disease component, work with senior colleagues on the Rhino DNA Index System, assist in species translocation/ rescue operations as and when required and any other task that calls for veterinary expertise.
Location: Tezpur / Guwahati (Assam)
Programme Development – Help develop Wildlife health management component of the landscape strategy with input from the WWF India team and partners.
Programme Implementation - Proactively prepare a yearly implementation plan for the relevant project activities in consultation with reporting managers that includes fieldwork, data analysis, timely preparation of technical reports, scientific papers, and popular articles.
- Work with the team members of Brahmaputra Landscape (BHL) where wildlife health issues are to be addressed, as part of the one health programme, or otherwise, and identify areas of intervention.
- Assist in and/or conduct tranquilization of large mammals for various operations and procedures, following the guidelines and only with permission from state authorities.
- Study food preference of rhinos in details. Monitor behaviour and eating habits of select wild animals, particularly translocated and radio collared rhinos as determinants of health conditions.
- Examine translocated rhinos on a regular basis and as needed throughout the year, which can include physical exams, blood work, etc.
- Develop a protocol for disease prophylaxis for rhinos and common livestock and implement a vaccination program in collaboration with the state government agencies.
- Diagnose and treat wild animals for medical conditions that may at times include rescue and rehabilitation, following the above-stated guidelines and with permission from state authorities.
- Undertake programs for the field implementation of the RhoDIS India program.
- Assist in the organization of trainings and workshops.
- Provide assistance to the Landscape team in BHL to complete committed activities pertaining to animal health and related field.
- Advise Brahmaputra Landscapes team (and other as required), forest department officials and frontline staff about general care, medical conditions, and treatments of rhinos.
Networking & Advocacy - The candidate will be responsible for effective liaising with stakeholders including Govt. department(s), Institutions(s), and NGOs for any issue pertaining to planning and implementation of project activities in the landscape.
Reporting – Collect, compile and analyze data related to occurrence of diseases in wildlife, vaccination (livestock) etc.; generate reports and other documentation aimed at improving knowledge and awareness of Zoonotic diseases among key stakeholders
Qualifications and competencies required:
- A Master's Degree in Veterinary Sciences with 1-2 years’ experience of working on wildlife sector or a bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Sciences with 3-4 years’ experience of working on wildlife sector.
- Preferably trained or experienced in large mammal tranquilization
- Experienced in working on animal health and disease diagnostics
- Experienced in conducting Autopsy / Postmortem of large mammals
Please note, that the applications of only the short-listed candidates will be acknowledged.
WWF-India is an equal opportunities employer. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
Remuneration will be competitive with Indian NGO pay scales and will depend upon candidate’s experience levels and the overall WWF-India salary structure. WWF-India does not provide housing, telephone or vehicle facilities.
Please submit an up-to-date CV (mentioning your full name in the resume attachment), giving details regarding compensation received in the present assignment, expected salary, and three references.
Salary: Not Disclosed by Recruiter
Employment Type:Full Time, Permanent
PG:MS/M.Sc(Science) in Veterinary Science
World Wide Fund